Sunday 10 May 2020

Visit to Gloucester Park – 10th May 2020

Date: 10th May 2020

Time: from 6:30 a.m.

Weather: dry, cloudy/hazy sunshine, light wind, 11°C to 18°C

This was another early morning visit to Gloucester Park. It was again a good visit for birds with 33 species recorded including 4 additional species for my site list, increasing it to 40 species, one of which was also an addition to my UK 2020 year list.

I access Gloucester Park at the north west corner by the roundabout junction of St. Nicholas Lane, Cranes Farm Road and Upper Mayne. Today’s excellent birding started immediately on exiting the underpass.

In the hedge line that runs parallel to Cranes Farm Road and which forms the northern boundary of Gloucester Park, I heard the chattering song of a male Sedge Warbler although frustratingly I failed to see it. Nonetheless, it was an addition to my UK 2020 year list and obviously a first record for my site list.


In this same area, I initially heard the rattling song of a male Lesser Whitethroat and then eventually saw it. This was another new record for my site list. I have already seen this species this year at both Noak Bridge Nature Reserve and the area around St. Nicholas Church.


The other new records for my site list were 2 Swifts hawking for insects over the smaller lake and a single Jay in the area between the main lake and the smaller lake. I have already seen Swifts this year both from my flat and around St. Nicholas Church.

I saw the male Common Whitethroat again singing from his usual area in the trees and bushes close to the pond adjacent to the new development of flats.

I saw 2 Common Terns flying around the main lake with another briefly fishing over the smaller lake. There was also a Grey Heron at the western end of the main lake.

Other highlights included a singing male Blackcap with a further 3 heard but not seen, 3 singing Chiffchaffs heard but not seen, 1 Green Woodpecker plus 2 others heard calling and 1 Great Spotted Woodpecker and another heard calling.

There are at least 3 pairs of Greylag Geese with goslings and 3 pairs of Canada Geese with goslings. In addition, I saw a pair of Coot with 5 juveniles (although 3 females are still sitting on their nests) plus I saw a pair of Mallards with 6 juveniles.

Finally I saw 3 Grey Squirrels.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Swift
Sedge Warbler
Lesser Whitethroat
Common Whitethroat
Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin
Wren
Dunnock
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Starling
House Sparrow
Goldfinch
Pied Wagtail
Green Woodpecker
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Jay
Carrion Crow
Magpie
Canada Goose
Greylag Goose
Mallard
Coot
Moorhen
Grey Heron
Common Tern
Black-headed Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull

Grey Squirrel

Here are some photos from my visit:


Photo: Grey Squirrel


Photo: Grey Squirrel


Photo: Grey Squirrel



Photo: Common Whitethroat

 Photo: Common Whitethroat


Photo: Common Whitethroat



Photo: Song Thrush



Photo: Coot


Photo: Coot



Photo: Coot juveniles


Photo: male Mallard


Photo: Mallard duckling



Photo: Black-headed Gull


Photo: Black-headed Gull



Photo: Black-headed Gull



Photo: Common Tern


Photo: Common Tern



Photo: Canada Geese …. there has been a falling out and we are not talking anymore 😀



Photo: Canada Geese .... we have made up 😀



Photo: Canada Goose and goslings



Photo: Canada Goose and goslings



Photo: Canada Goose goslings



Photo: Canada Goose goslings



Photo: Greylag Geese



Photo: Greylag Geese and goslings



Photo: Greylag Goose goslings



Photo: Greylag Geese and goslings


Photo: Greylag Goose


Site totals to date:
Birds = 40
Mammals = 2
Butterflies = 1
Dragonflies and damselflies = 0
Reptiles = 0
Amphibians = 0

💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature












No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.