Wednesday 27 May 2020

Visit to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve - 27th May 2020

Date: 27th May 2020

Time: from 6:45 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, 13°C to 20°C

On the approach path from Asda to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve, I heard a singing male Chiffchaff and a singing male Blackcap.

This was my first early morning visit to Noak Bridge Nature Reserve for some time.

As such, bird song and bird activity was much more evident than my last few visits which were later in the morning.

It is clear that a number of birds, particularly Blue Tits, Great Tits and Long-tailed Tits, have fledglings given the amount of noise generated by those begging for breakfast! 

Having seen my first Common Whitethroat on the reserve on my visit 2 days ago, I saw what was presumably the same singing male in the same area this morning i.e. in the bushes at the end of the boardwalk and the bushes around Meadow Pond. It was much more showy today and this enabled a series of much better photos.

I again briefly saw a singing male Lesser Whitethroat in the bushes along the main track and also heard another in the bushes along the track running south from the Eastfield Road entrance.

In addition, I saw 2 singing Blackcaps and 1 singing Chiffchaff and heard 2 and 3 respectively of each species without seeing them plus I heard 3 Great Spotted Woodpeckers. There were 2 male Mallards on Willow Pond and a single Moorhen on Meadow Pond.

Compared with my visit 2 days ago which was later in the day when it was much warmer, I saw no dragonflies or damselflies. However, I did see 2 Speckled Woods, with a further individual just outside the reserve on my return to the footbridge over the A127, although this was the only butterfly species today. 

Finally, I saw a Grey Squirrel in the bushes close to the Eastfield Road entrance.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Common Whitethroat
Lesser Whitethroat
Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin
Wren
Dunnock
Blackbird
Song Thrush
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Woodpigeon
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Mallard
Moorhen

Speckled Wood

Grey Squirrel

Here are some photos from my visit:

Photo: Common Whitethroat

Photo: Common Whitethroat

Photo: Common Whitethroat



Photo: Common Whitethroat

Photo: Chiffchaff

Photo: Speckled Wood

Photo: Roesel’s Bush-cricket

Photo: Roesel’s Bush-cricket

Site totals to date:
Birds = 31
Mammals = 1
Butterflies= 9
Dragonflies and damselflies = 6
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.