Friday 1 May 2020

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 1st May 2020

Date: 1st May 2020

Time: from 7:00 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny/cloudy, moderate wind, 8°C to 12°C

It was a short visit today en-route to Lidl.

In the short distance between my flat and the entrance to the site by Larkins Tyres, I heard a calling Great Spotted Woodpecker and a singing male Blackcap.

On site, I heard a singing male Lesser Whitethroat in the same location as on my last visit but failed to see it.

I also saw a singing Chiffchaff and heard 3 others and I saw a singing Blackcap and heard another.

The highlight of my visit was coming face-to-face with a Red Fox at a distance of just 20 feet or so. We both stared at one another for what seemed an age but in reality it was just a brief moment and certainly not long enough to even raise my camera let alone take a photo.

On my return from Lidl along St. Nicholas Lane (the southern boundary to the site), I bumped in to Phil again, one of the conservation volunteers at the churchyard, who was walking his dog. It was nice to have a catch up and a further discussion on the wildlife of the area.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Lesser Whitehtroat
Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin
Dunnock
Wren
Blackbird
Magpie
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Carrion Crow
Lesser Black-backed Gull

Red Fox

Here are 2 photos from my visit:


Photo: Chiffchaff



Photo: Long-tailed Tit

Site totals to date:
Birds = 42
Mammals = 4
Butterflies = 15
Dragonflies and damselflies = 3
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚

Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature




No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.