Tuesday 12 May 2020

Red Foxes at St. Nicholas Church

When I arrived at St. Nicholas Church at 6:15 a.m., I almost immediately saw a Red Fox at the bottom of Church Hill close to the junction of St. Nicholas Lane and well south of the den area where I have been watching a vixen and her cubs.

I think this individual is unlikely to be the vixen that I have been watching since every time I have seen her it is either around the den area itself or leaving towards or arriving from the graveyard and wider area to the north.

Today, I saw the vixen coming and going on probably at least 10 occasions during the 3 hours that I spent watching the den area.

Whilst I did manage to photograph her well last Saturday when I first discovered this family of Red Foxes, I have since found it to be very difficult since she quickly runs in to and out of the den area, presumably to try and avoid being seen and to protect the presence of her cubs. Most of my photos are a blur ....



I did see the presumed vixen in the car park and managed to get a reasonable record shot.



After seeing the Red Fox at the bottom of Church Hill, it was another 30 minutes or so before I had my first sighting at the den area. Without any warning, the vixen and 4 cubs almost exploded out of the hedge in a play fight before returning almost quickly as they appeared. My photos were a complete blur of rusty red with yellowish tints. Very artistic but basically cr*p 😀.

The rest of my time watching the Red Foxes followed a similar pattern to my last 2 visits. The first sign would be a pair of curious eyes peering out and looking at me from the bottom of the hedge.



Then, by staying completely quiet and still, a cub would emerge and sit enjoying the sunshine for a moment before scampering back in to safety.











On and off throughout the period that I was watching the den area, I could see the cubs moving about inside the hedge through very small gaps.

I think this Red Fox watching humans stuff is getting a bit boring and tedious for some …. yawn 😀.


💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.