Saturday 9 May 2020

Visit to St. Nicholas Church and surrounding areas – 9th May 2020

Date: 9th May 2020

Time: from 6:00 a.m.

Weather: dry, sunny, light wind, 9°C to 19°C

After the success of yesterday morning in seeing Red Fox and Reeves' Muntjac, I decided to visit again today but even earlier in the hope of photographing one or both.

It was another beautiful sunny and warm spring morning.

This was undoubtedly the best wildlife watching experience that I have had at this site in the many years that I have been visiting it. The main reason for this was the 2 hours that I spent watching 2 Red Fox cubs plus also twice seeing the vixen. This was such a memorable encounter that I have written a separate dedicated blog post about it here.



Photo: Red Fox vixen

I did see a single Reeves' Muntjac, albeit from the top of Church Hill and looking down the road towards St. Nicholas Lane. It was a brief sighting as it crossed the road.

I additionally saw 2 Grey Squirrels with one of them doing his best impression of a tightrope artist as he precariously walked along an overhead cable!

Whilst I had already seen my first Swallows of the year from my flat, I saw my first for this site today. 

In addition, after seeing Swifts around St. Nicholas Church yesterday, I saw a further 4 birds today (2 groups of 2 each).

With regard to other birds, I heard 4 singing Chiffchaffs without seeing any of them, saw 2 singing Blackcaps and heard 4 others, heard a calling Green Woodpecker and both saw and heard Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Species recorded during this visit were as follows (heard only records in italics):

Swift
Swallow
Blackcap
Chiffchaff
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Long-tailed Tit
Robin
Dunnock
Wren
Blackbird
Song Thrush
House Sparrow
Goldfinch
Starling
Green Woodpecker
Great Spotted Woodpecker
Jay
Magpie
Carrion Crow
Woodpigeon
Collared Dove
Carrion Crow
Herring Gull
Lesser Black-backed Gull

Red Fox
Reeves' Muntjac
Grey Squirrel

Here are some photos from my visit
:

Photo: Robin

Photo: Long-tailed Tit

Photo: Long-tailed Tit

Photo: Long-tailed Tit

Photo: Long-tailed Tit

Photo: Blue Tit

Photo: Collared Dove

Photo: Grey Squirrel .... the local tightrope artist 😀



Photo: Grey Squirrel …. the local tightrope artist 😀



Photo: Common Poppy

Site totals to date:
Birds = 44
Mammals = 4
Butterflies = 16
Dragonflies and damselflies = 3
Reptiles = 1
Amphibians = 0

💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.