Friday 29 May 2020

Red Foxes at St. Nicholas Church

In my blog post on 23rd May 2020 I suggested that the Red Foxes had abandoned the natal den since I had not seen the vixen and cubs on 2 consecutive visits. This is indeed the case since I rediscovered the cubs and the visiting vixen this morning at another location.

I initially saw a Red Fox on several occasions criss-crossing the green area adjacent to Church Hill. I then heard some excited chattering away to my right which I guessed may be the response of the cubs receiving food from the vixen. 

I was unsure of the exact location so I moved slowly and quietly in the direction of where the sound came from. I then suddenly saw 2 cubs tumble out of the hedgerow before scampering back in.

I last saw the cubs on 17th May 2020 and in the 2 weeks since they have clearly grown considerably in size.

I watched the area for about an hour and saw the vixen arriving on several occasions carrying food and taking it in to the hedgerow.




On one occasion, she re-emerged probably less than 20 feet from me and certainly at a distance that was too near to close focus my telephoto lens.

After the initial sighting of 2 cubs, I saw a cub on a further 3 occasions and I was able to at least get one photo.



Now that I have discovered the new location of the cubs, I will try again to see and photograph them.

💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.