Friday 22 May 2020

More on Gloucester Park ....

After the appalling experience of my visit to Gloucester Park yesterday, I e-mailed the Leader of Basildon Council, the Councillors who sit on the Neighbourhoods and Public Spaces Committee (which is responsible for Gloucester Park) plus my Ward Councillors. It will be interesting to see what response I receive and what action will be taken by the Council and/or the Police.

This morning, in response to an earlier post, I posted the following on the Gloucester Park Community Group page on Facebook.

"I have only been a member of this group for a few weeks and there are many more people who have a far greater knowledge and experience of Gloucester Park than I have. It is also not for me to dictate what happens in the future. So …. I am somewhat reluctant to wade in to this debate.

I am sure that we are all on the same side as members of this group. I think we would all agree with the sentiment “long may it stay a park for the use of everyone”.

Unfortunately, from what I have read here in recent days and from what I witnessed for myself yesterday, this is clearly not the case. The unacceptable and selfish small minority are spoiling the experience that the park can offer for the responsible majority.

I don’t believe anyone is suggesting that the park is, or should be, designated as a nature reserve.

However, I am aware of several lakes and reservoirs (admittedly much larger) up and down the UK where separated mixed uses for different parts are designated e.g. areas for watersports, areas for boating/sailing, areas for fishing and, yes, areas for wildlife conservation. It would not be difficult to put in place a management plan for the small lake in Gloucester Park that defines separate areas for fishing, wildlife conservation and other uses.

Whether it is a man-made park or a nature reserve is basically irrelevant when we consider what is occurring at the moment.

I would gently point out the following.

• There is still an ongoing health crisis. Even with the (ambiguous and confusing) loosening of the lockdown, social distancing requirements still apply as do the requirements of who we can meet and when and how.

• There is a long list of legislation and regulations that protects wildlife (https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/uk-wildlife-law) plus additional legislation in respect of wildlife crime.

• There is legislation (Environmental Protection Act 1990) in respect of littering which defines criminal offences of littering and the discarding or disposing of waste products improperly (including fishing litter). Offences are punishable by law and often result in a substantial penalty fine. In addition, local Councils are required to keep land safe and clear of discarded litter in their areas. They are also responsible for prosecuting any offenders with severe penalties and fines. This is why I have e-mailed several Councillors.

• The Anti-social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014 enables a local Council to make a Public Spaces Protection Order that allows the Police to stop people from drinking in a public area and confiscate alcohol where this is causing a problem or having a detrimental effect. Even outside of these areas, the Police can take away alcohol or move on under 18s if they have been drinking. Again, this is why I have e-mailed several Councillors.

Hopefully some short-term action can be taken to tackle the immediate problems followed by some longer-term thinking and joint working with the Council as to how the park is managed in the future."

💚🦆 🦉 🌼 🌳💚
Stay safe, stay well, stay strong, stay connected with nature


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you feel like commenting on my blog, you can contact me by completing the comment form below. I will respond to all comments and enquiries and constructive criticism will always be welcomed.